The ketogenic diet has gained in popularity, but that has led to some bad information being shared. You can do keto right, and you can do keto wrong. This book is all about how to do keto the right way!
Despite what health science has beaten into us over the last fifty or so years, humans thrive on high-fat, low-carb diets. Millions of people around the world have discovered that a ketogenic lifestyle is the key to weight loss, disease prevention and intervention, and a more vibrant life. Gone are the days of constant hunger and low energy. This book leads you on a path to better health, a slimmer waistline, elimination of cravings, and endless energy.
Craig and Maria Emmerich have partnered to write a book that digs deep into the science of ketogenic dieting, explaining how dozens of diseases can be cured or controlled through keto and how ketogenic diets are fueling a new breed of athlete—all in an easy-to-understand way that breaks down the complicated science for you.
Keto is the definitive resource to the ketogenic lifestyle. Inside, you’ll learn
- How you can beat cancer, obesity, metabolic syndrome, coronary artery disease, high cholesterol, Alzheimer’s, dementia, ADHD, anxiety, and depression into submission by making some simple yet impactful changes to your diet.
- How cholesterol and diabetes medications could very well be making you sicker rather than better.
- How generations of bad advice—designed to sell sugar, not health—has killed millions who blindly trusted the medical community and, worse still, the government to tell them the truth.
- How overconsumption of carbohydrates is bad for your health and could be at the root of what ails you.
- How changing your inputs—the foods you eat—can change your outputs, meaning your quality of life.
- How our bodies work, including oxidative priority, fat flux, and lipolysis, explained in such a way that everyone can understand how our bodies really process what we put into them.
- How inflammation is at the root of many diseases and how modern diets that are rife with sugar, carbs, and omega-6 oils are sending us to early graves.
- How hormones control mood swings, sex drive, blood sugar levels, muscle tone, fat-burning ability, metabolism, the immune system, and much more—and how adopting a ketogenic lifestyle can change your waistline and your life!
- How to stock your pantry with the right foods and make meal plans that are delicious and easy to follow and, most importantly, are the pathway to a longer, healthier life.
- How you can build muscle and perform at your best on a low-carb, high-fat diet. No, we’re not making that up!
- Which foods are the most nutrient dense to feed our cells the vitamins and minerals they need.
- How to sort through the confusion and conflicting information about what a ketogenic diet is. This book clears it all up, dispelling the myths of ketogenic diets.
So, enjoy those healthy animal proteins. Gnaw on that rib bone. And say no to that plate of “heart-healthy” pasta. New York Times bestselling author Maria Emmerich and her husband, Craig, are going to take you on a journey to a new life—one that helps you lose weight, build muscle, and live the life nature intended you to live!
|Publisher:||Victory Belt Publishing|
|Product dimensions:||7.50(w) x 8.60(h) x 1.10(d)|
About the Author
Maria Emmerich is a wellness expert in nutrition and exercise physiology and the founder of keto-adapted.com. Maria's success stems from her passion for helping others reach and sustain optimal health through programs and education that works on a personalized level. After struggling with her weight throughout her childhood, she decided to study health and wellness so she could help others who are discouraged by their appearance and do not feel their best mentally. Maria understands the connection between food and how it makes us all feel on the inside and out. Her specialty is brain chemical neurotransmitters and how they are affected by the foods we eat. She is the author of several cookbooks and three nutritional guidebooks, including: Global Bestseller The Ketogenic Cookbook. Other books include: Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism, with foreword by Dr. William Davis, New York Times bestselling author of Wheat Belly, Keto-Adapted which includes a foreword by Dr. Davis and excerpts from Dr. David Perlmutter, author of the New York Times bestseller Grain Brain. Maria’s blog, mariamindbodyhealth.com, includes a unique combination of innovative recipes using alternative ingredients to less-healthy options and easy-to-understand explanations of why these options are better for our health.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 The Failures of Modern Nutritional Guidance 6
Healthcare and Prescriptions 10
Flawed Dietary Guidelines 11
Overconsumption of Carbohydrates 17
Sugar Accelerates Aging 22
Chapter 2 The Disease Tree 26
Inflamed Adipose Tissue Causes Insulin Resistance 29
What About Cholesterol? 31
What Markers Should You Use to Determine Your Health? 35
Triglyceride-to-HDL Ratio 40
Vitamin D Levels 40
Reversing the Root Causes 40
Eat the Right Foods 47
Chapter 3 How Our Bodies Work 48
Metabolic Fuels 51
Thermic Effect of Food 54
Oxidative Priority 55
Fat Flux 61
Do Calories Matter? 64
More About Alcohol 66
How to Get into a Negative Fat Flux (Lose Fat) 68
Chapter 4 What Is a Well-Formulated Ketogenic Diet? 70
Macronutrient Targets 71
Formulating a Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Healing 73
A Well-Formulated Ketogenic Diet 77
Fat in a Keto Diet 79
The Benefits of Being Keto-Adapted 86
Protein-Sparing Modified Fasting 88
Keto Families 89
An Ideal Keto Day for Healing and Weight Loss 93
Chapter 5 Hormones 96
Hormones Run Our Metabolisms 97
The Thyroid Gland 98
The Glucagon-Insulin Connection 101
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) 102
Estrogen and Progesterone 111
Effects of Estrogen Dominance 113
Chapter 6 Modifications for Disease 120
Crohn's Disease and Colitis 121
High Blood Pressure 124
Acid Reflux and Indigestion 132
Gallbladder Removals 136
Gastric Bypass 137
Acne, Eczema, and Other Skin Issues 137
Depression, Anxiety, and Other Mood Issues 142
Fertility and Pregnancy 152
Menopause: Weight Gain and Osteopenia 157
Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia 159
Bone Health (Osteopenia and Osteoporosis) 162
Autoimmune Disease 167
Chronic Pain and Inflammation (Arthritis, Fibromyalgia) 171
Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes 183
Type 1 Diabetes 185
Chapter 7 Common Mistakes 188
Dispelling Keto Myths 191
Troubleshooting: Why It Might Not Be Working 198
Common Keto Mistakes 199
Willpower to Fast 200
Adrenal Fatigue 208
Tips for Reducing Stress 211
Chapter 8 Nutrients in a Keto Lifestyle 212
Meat, the Real Superfood 215
Vegetables and Our Digestive Tracts 221
Vegetables and Antinutrients 223
Paleo Vegetables 225
The Fiber Myth 225
What About Meat and Cancer? 227
Final Thoughts 229
Chapter 9 Fasting 230
Intermittent Fasting 232
Longer Fasts Allow Apoptosis to Occur 238
Chapter 10 Exercise and Keto Athletes 242
Common Myths 244
Using Exercise Effectively in a Ketogenic Lifestyle 248
Exercise Tips for Burning More Fat 258
The Exercise of Daily Activities 260
The Dangers of Too Much Exercise 260
Exercising in Ketosis 262
Chapter 11 Meal Plans and Pantry List 266
Stocking Your Refrigerator, Freezer, and Pantry 267
No-Cook 7-Day Meal Plan 283
No-Cook 7-Day Dairy- and Nut-Free Meal Plan 285
Chapter 12 A Checklist for Accelerated Healing 288
Cold Therapy and Activating Brown Fat 289
More Ways to Help Your Mitochondria 292
Checklist for Accelerating Healing and Weight Loss 294
Why Weight Loss Gets Harder 301
What to Do After a Cheat 303
In Closing 304
End Notes 306