Denver, known locally as "Denver of the East," is an unincorporated area in eastern Lincoln County, North Carolina, that was originally named "Dry Pond" after a small pond at the intersection of Highway 16 and Campground Road that always dried up during the hottest summer months. Prof D. Matt Thompson, principal at Rock Spring Seminary, led the effort to rename the area after the booming Colorado capital to attract railroad planners whose lines could provide an economic boost to trading and commerce. The area was officially renamed in January 1875. Around Denver are communities such as Triangle, Lowesville, Machpelah, Catawba Springs, Iron Station, and Pumpkin Center, whose names are as significant as the industries and sons and daughters that they birthed and raised.
About the Author
Lincoln County Historical Association executive director Jason L. Harpe and Denver native Matt Boles explored the association's archives and scoured primary collections in eastern Lincoln County to frame a photographic tour of the area around Denver that represents over 200 years of history. Reflected in the windows of historic buildings and structures and in the eyes of pioneering men and women are the signs and stories of eras long gone that provided the foundation for future generations.
Table of Contents
1 Keeping the Faith: Religion and Places of Worship 9
2 Band of Characters: Eastern Lincoln County People and Families 27
3 "Inseparable Parts of the Same River:" Historic Places of Eastern Lincoln County 75
4 Soul of a Society: Education and Educators 103
5 Going the Distance: Memorable Teams and Athletes of Eastern Lincoln County 119