What do we do when God's actions or words contradict our understanding, contradict what we have believed? The book of Habakkuk answers this question in the face of the Babylonian invasion of Judah. Habakkuk is a book of discipleship, a book written to bring its reader to a deeper faith in Yahweh in the presence of His unthinkable deeds.
Using study questions addressing the text, theology, and application of Habakkuk and explanatory comments on difficult themes, Believe the Unbelievable seeks to realize this purpose for the contemporary reader.
Believe the Unbelievable is based on the author's translation of Habakkuk. This translation is printed in the study guide and can be accessed, along with additional resources, at https://teleioteti.ca/2017/12/21/a-translation-of-habakkuk/
James Rutherford is a capable and creative thinker, well equipped to tackle tough projects, such as the book of Habakkuk. In this study guide, Rutherford has produced a very useful resource for individual or group study. He combines theological acumen and well-honed linguistic and literary skills to discover and then to present, in highly understandable fashion, the riches of this not so “minor” Minor Prophet.
- V. Philips Long, Professor of Old Testament, Regent College
My good friend, James Rutherford, has given the church a gift. He has taken his love for God’s Word and focused it on an Old Testament book that most Christians know very little about. The result is a study in Habakkuk that brings together deep insight and real relevance. Habakkuk is a voice among the biblical chorus that believers need to hear today. Thank you, James, for helping us to hear it clearly and faithfully.
- Fred Eaton, Neighbourhood Pastor of Christ City Church Kitsilano (Vancouver, Canada)
About the Author
Table of Contents
A Translation of the Book of Habakkuk
1. Habakkuk and the Old Testament
2. The Book of Habakkuk
The Oracle of Habakkuk
3. Habakkuk’s First Complaint (1:1-4)
4. Yahweh’s First Response to Habakkuk (1:5-11)
5. Habakkuk’s Second Complaint (1:12-2:1)
6. Yahweh’s Final Response Part 1: An Answer for Israel (2:2-4)
7. Yahweh’s Final Response Part 2: An Answer for Babylon (2:5-20)
A Song of Habakkuk in Response to God’s Answer
8. The Prayer of the Faithful (Stanza One – 3:1-3b)
9. The Divine Warrior Comes Forth (Stanza Two – 3:3c-9b)
10. The Divine Warrior Arrives (Stanza Three – 3:9c-13)
11. The Faithful Respond (Stanza Four – 3:14-19)