In the 2019 edition, we'll tell young readers how to:
- Join the vacation-planning fun, with kid-friendly descriptions of all the theme park shows and attractions, including maps, photos, colorful illustrations, and more.
- Experience a whole new play zone at Disney's Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Land, featuring a family-friendly roller coaster called Slinky Dog Dash and the Alien Swirling Saucers ride (beware of The Claw!)
- Discover new theme park offerings, including the Magic Kingdom's fireworks spectacular Happily Ever After, Epcot's new Mission: SPACE Green adventure, and Disney's Animal Kingdom's high-flying and wildly popular Avatar: Flight of Passage attraction.
- Awaken the Force at Walt Disney World! Disney's Hollywood Studiosa theme park that is getting new land called Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.
- Meet favorite Disney characters and collect autographs from Mickey, Minnie, Anna, Elsa, Chewbacca, BB8, Goofy, and the gang, and there are special autograph pages at the back of the book!
- The book is filled with kid-written tips and attraction reviews.
- Hunt for dozens of Hidden Mickeys spread through all four Walt Disney World theme parks.
- Preserve magical memories in a special scrapbook section.
About the Author
When Steve Birnbaum launched this guide in 1981, he made it clear what was expected of anyone who worked on it. The book would be meticulously revised each year, leaving no attraction untested, no snack or meal untasted, no hotel untried. First-hand experiences like these, accumulated over the years, make this book the most authoritative guide to Walt Disney World. Our expertise, however, is not achieved by being escorted through back doors of attractions (although we would enjoy that). Instead, we wait in lines with everyone else, always hoping to have a Disney experience like that of any other guest. We also take advantage of WDW's ambitious (and free) FastPass+ attraction reservation system whenever we can. We'll continue to keep a close eye on it and other additions to the Walt Disney World vacation-planning universe, homework we're happy to do for readers like you.
After more than 45 fun-filled years, the World has vastly expanded, and so has our knowledge of the most popular vacation destination on the planet. On some occasions we've encountered sweltering weather and swelling crowds, times when even the happiest of travelers can turn into Grumpy for a moment or two. Had we known then what we know now, we could have spared ourselves some trying experiences. In one case, a staffer waited more than an hour to get on an attraction. Standing in line with a notebook, she was asked by another guest if there was a quiz at the end. When she explained what she was doing, he expressed surprise to learn that she was waiting with the masses. But that's always been our strategy. We believe the best way to gather useful advice for a Walt Disney World guest is to be one. Over and over again!
- Jill Safro, Editor