Encyclopedia of Antarctica and the Southern Oceans / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
An up-to-date and authoritative one-volume reference offeringcomprehensive coverage of the biology, climatology, oceanography,geology, history and current legal, political and human aspects ofthe Antarctic continent and the surrounding ocean andislands.
* Edited by Dr Bernard Stonehouse - a research scientist, writerand editor with wide-ranging field experience of Antarctica and thesouthern oceans
* Entries from 25 eminent contributors, writing under the directionof six advisory editors, ensures an up-to-date and authoritativepresentation
* Comprehensive geographical coverage, including lands, coasts,major mountain ranges and individual features, all withco-ordinates and brief descriptions, and many in-text maps
* Includes study guides, offering 2-3000 words on key topics, whichenable the user to follow themes of interest systematically andthematically, with key words linking to the A-Z entries within theEncyclopedia
* Features an eight page, fold-out coloured map section of thecontinent showing major geographical features
* Offers wide cross-disciplinary coverage of Antarctic and southernoceans from politics and sovereignty to marine zoology
* Written in a simple, straightforward style
Provides essential reading for all researchers and academicsworking in climatology, oceanography, geology and biology, as wellas Polar researchers
|Product dimensions:||8.70(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.20(d)|
About the Author
B. Stonehouse is the author of Encyclopedia of Antarctica and the Southern Oceans, published by Wiley.
Table of Contents
List of Advisory Editors.
List of Contributors.
A Z Entries.
Appendix A: Agreed Measures for the Conservation of Antarctic Faunaand Flora.
Appendix B: Convention for the Conservation of AntarcticSeals.
Appendix C: Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic MarineLiving Resources.
Appendix D: Protocol on Environmental Protection to the AntarcticTreaty.
Appendix E: Text of the Antarctic Treaty.
Study Guide: Climate and Life.
Study Guide: Exploration.
Study Guide: Geography.
Study Guide: Geology and Glaciology.
Study Guide: Information Sources.
Study Guide: National Interests in Antarctica.
Study Guide: Protected Areas under the Antarctic Treaty.
Study Guide: Southern Oceans and Islands.
A Z Listing of Encyclopedia Entries.