About the Author
WARREN AND RUTH MYERS have spent their lives teaching men and women how to experience God and discover His will, until Warren's promotion to glory in 2001. They collaborated on numerous best-selling books including 31 Days of Praise and 31 Days of Prayer (both Multnomah Press), and The Perfect Love and The Satisfied Heart (both Waterbrook Press). The Myers spent most of their adult lives ministering with The Navigators in Asia. Ruth now lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Read an Excerpt
EXPERIENCING GOD'S ATTRIBUTESPursuing God with Your Whole Heart, Mind, and Soul
By Warren Myers Ruth Myers
NAVPRESSCopyright © 2003 Ruth Myers
All right reserved.
Chapter OneGOD'S GREATNESS AND MAJESTY
How amazing it is that God, the Supreme Ruler of all, is tenderly involved with each of His children. He is not like us humans with our limited capacity, our inability to give full attention to many people at one time. He is all-knowing, all-seeing, ever-present, able to focus with love on each one of us individually. God shows no favoritism, for each of His children is a favorite.
Dear Father, I worship You as the Most High God, exalted far above all. I praise You for Your mighty dignity and awesome beauty as King of all kings-for Your majesty that rides forth and wins battles. You are the awesome Champion, the all-powerful Warrior who prevails against His enemies. Your greatness extends to all of Your attributes, including Your limitless love.
Lord, as I meditate on the Scriptures in this study, may I see more clearly how great and majestic You are, and may I trust You more deeply and more constantly. Amen.
1. Verses to Consider: 1 Chronicles 29:11-13; 1 Timothy 6:15-16; Jeremiah 32:17; Psalm 145:1-7; Ephesians 1:20-23
2. Favorite Passages: Copy from your Bible the verses or parts of verses that mean the most to you from the previous part, Verses to Consider. (In the future, add other Scriptures that speak to you in a definite way about God's greatness and majesty. Use this part often for meditation and praise.)
3. Obsevations, Illustrations, and Quotation
4. How This Truth Can Affect My Life (Application)
5. Future Study
Extra space for writing answers:
GOD'S GREATNESS AND MAJESTY
1. Look up the following verses. Meditate on them, and then add the most meaningful portions to your Favorite Passages. As an option, find additional verses on your own.
Malachi 1:11; Isaiah 40:12-26
2. Write a paragraph or simple outline summarizing what your Favorite Passages (and possibly other verses you have considered) say about God's greatness and majesty.
3. Because many people do not realize how great and majestic God is, what unrealistic ideas do they have about God, about life itself, or about themselves?
4. Answer one or both of the following: a. What specific false thoughts and disturbing emotions hinder me when I don't focus on God's greatness and majesty? What situations or memories most frequently stimulate these thoughts and feelings?
b. Although my conscious mind may agree that God is great and majestic, does my outward life demonstrate that He is? What specific attitudes or actions might make people doubt that God is great and majestic in my estimation?
5. Write a brief statement about God's greatness and majesty for on-the-spot use in respect to the need you acknowledged in question 4.
6. Does someone near you-a friend, brother, sister, spiritual child-have a need or problem that may relate to not realizing God's greatness and majesty? How can you help this person become more clear and excited about this attribute and its practical implications?
7. Pray for alertness to areas in your life that relate to God's greatness and majesty. Ask for increasing assurance about this truth, and that it will meet specific needs in your life and in the lives of others.
Excerpted from EXPERIENCING GOD'S ATTRIBUTES by Warren Myers Ruth Myers Copyright © 2003 by Ruth Myers. Excerpted by permission.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.