For most Colorado citizens, Fort Logan usually brings to mind the large national cemetery of the same name. Often unrealized is that nearby, there are fine, substantial brick buildings that mark the remains of a once-bustling military post. Fort Logan began in 1887 and became a part of the US Army’s new network of urban-type forts with strategic rail links. Located in the beginning about eight miles southwest of Denver, it variously housed important infantry, cavalry, and engineer units and later served as a key recruit and discharge center. It also once attracted Denverites to elaborate parade ceremonies, stirring band concerts, and competitive athletic events. After World War II, it became property of the State of Colorado and today is the site of the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan.
About the Author
Author Jack Stokes Ballard holds a PhD in American history from UCLA, taught history at the Air Force Academy, served a career in the Air Force, and worked for Martin Marietta Corporation. He has authored several books on aviation history and a biography of Col. Henry C. Merriam, the first principal commander of Fort Logan. Most of the rich, historical, previously unpublished photographs come from the Friends of Historic Fort Logan Collection.