A home network allows you to share Internet connections, photos, video, music, game consoles, printers, and other electronic gadgets. This do-it-yourself guide shows you step by step how to create a wired or wireless network in your home.
In the For Dummies tradition of making technology less intimidating, Home Networking Do-It-Yourself For Dummies breaks down the process into easy steps with clear instructions.
- Increasing broadband speeds, cellular technology, the explosive growth of iPhone sales, and the new Home Group feature in Windows 7 all contribute to a booming interest in home networking
- This step-by-step guide walks do-it-yourselfers through the process of setting up a wired or wireless network with Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Demonstrates how to connect desktops or laptops, printers, a home server, a router, high-speed Internet access, a video game system, a telephone line, and entertainment peripherals
- Shows how to share files, music, and video, and connect to an iPhone
- Provides maintenance and troubleshooting tips
Home Networking Do-It-Yourself For Dummies enables you to take advantage of everything a home network can offer without hiring a technology wizard.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||50 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
Part I: Doing Your Homework.
Chapter 1: Why Do You Need A Home Network?
Chapter 2: Understanding Networking Basics.
Part II: Installing Your Home Network.
Chapter 3: Getting Wired.
Chapter 4: Going Wireless.
Part III: Setting Up Your Windows 7 Network.
Chapter 5: Understanding User Accounts.
Chapter 6: Setting Up a HomeGroup.
Chapter 7: Sharing With Others.
Chapter 8: Connecting to the Internet.
Chapter 9: Connecting Remotely.
Chapter 10: Having Fun with Your Home Network.
Part IV: Keeping Your Network Safe and Healthy.
Chapter 11: Inside the Action Center.
Chapter 12: Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.
Chapter 13: Windows Update.
Chapter 14: Backup and Restore.
Chapter 15: Building a SOHO Network.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 16: Ten Great Windows 7 Resources.
Chapter 17: Ten Reasons You Might Not Be Able to Join a HomeGroup.
Chapter 18: Ten Network Troubleshooting Tools.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews