Enter every examining room with confidence! Mosby’s Veterinary PDQ, 3rd Edition is the pocket-sized reference that provides you with quick access to hundreds of veterinary medicine facts, formulas, lab values, and procedures. Ideal for the clinical setting, coverage includes key topics such as pharmacology, math, animal care, common diseases, diagnostic procedures, imaging techniques, parasite identification, urinalysis, blood tests, and other lab work. This full-color new edition is divided into 10 easy-to-use sections, to help you quickly find what you need to deliver safe and efficient veterinary care.
• Valuable formulas, conversions, and lab values make it easy to look up the data needed to deliver safe and effective veterinary care.
• Full-color photos and line drawings illustrate procedures and tests, dental and surgical instruments, parasites, and urine and blood analysis.
• Quick-access format is organized into 10 tabbed, color-coded sections, and makes it easy to find facts quickly.
• Easily fits in the busy vet tech’s pocket, for ease of access and formatted to find facts quickly.
• Easy-to-read charts and tables provide quick access to key information that you’ll commonly use but rarely memorize.
• Spiral binding allows you to lay the book flat or keep it open to a page for quick reference.
• NEW! Current drug information covers the newest pharmacologic agents, ensuring that you are up to date with uses, adverse side effects, and dosage forms.
• NEW! Information on dental imaging and breathing circuits keeps you up to date on the latest techniques and equipment.
• NEW! Coverage of the latest testing kits keeps you up-to-date on available products.
• UPDATED! Information on anesthesia monitoring provides the most up-to-date information on this important topic.
• NEW! Updated images prepare you to perform routine procedures.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 1.25(h) x 9.00(d)|
Table of Contents
SECTION I: PHARMACOLOGY/MATH Pharmacy/Pharmacology •Commonly Used Rx Abbreviations •Common Medications oAntimicrobials oAntiparasitics oHeartworm Preventives oHeartworm Adulticide Treatment oPreanesthetics/Sedatives/Anesthetics oInhalant Anesthetics oAnalgesics and Antiinflammatories oParenteral Fluids oBlood Products oCardiovascular Drugs oRespiratory Drugs oGastrointestinal Drugs oEndocrine Drugs oAntidotes/Reversing Agents Medical Math •Conversion Factors •Dosage Calculations •Fluid Therapy Calculations •Intravenous Fluid Rate Calculations •Nutritional Calculations SECTION II: ANIMAL CARE •Anatomical Planes of Reference •Physical Examination Procedures •Assessment of Level of Consciousness •Pupillary Light Reflex •Description of Heart Murmurs •Estimating Degree of Dehydration •Body Condition Scoring System •Mucous Membrane Color •SOAP Progress Notes •Common Vaccinations for Dogs and Cats •Nutrient Guidelines for Wellness •Common Diseases of Dogs and Cats •Nail Trimming •Expressing Anal Sacs •Ear Cleaning •Age Equivalences SECTION III: PROCEDURES Diagnostic and Treatment Techniques •Administration of Otic and Ophthalmic Medication •Injection Techniques •Venipuncture •Bandaging oCast Application oRobert Jones Bandage oAbdominal/Chest Bandage oPressure Bandage •Lavage Solutions •Feeding Tubes •Emergency Supplies •Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage •Thoracocentesis •Thoracic Drain •Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage •Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation •CPR •Intravenous Catheterization oCatheter Selection •Cephalic Catheter Placement •Jugular Catheter Placement •Fluid Therapy •Tonometry •Schirmer Tear Test •Fluorescein Dye Test Diagnostic Imaging •Technique Chart •Troubleshooting Technical Errors •Landmarks •Contrast Media SECTION IV: DENTISTRY •Dental Formulas for Cats and Dogs •Normal Dentition •Dental Terminology •Charting •Dental Instruments •Dental Imaging SECTION V: SRX/ANESTHESIA NURSING •Anesthesia Machines •Breathing Circuits •Rebreathing Bag Sizes •Performing Anesthetic Machine Check •Oxygen Flow Rate Values •Endotracheal Tubes oRecommended Endotracheal Tube Sizes oPatient Monitoring Dogs and Cats UPDATED! oCapnography oPulse Oximetry •ASA Physical Status Classifications •Assessing Anesthetic Depth •Surgical Instruments •Suture Material •Surgical Pack Storage •Patient Preparation •Pain Evaluation •Postoperative Pain Evaluation
SECTION VI: URINALYSIS •Catheter Sizes •Routine Urinalysis Procedure •Gross Examination of Urine •Urine Sediment Examination opH Chart for Urine Crystals oCells oCasts oCrystals SECTION VII: HEMATOLOGY/SEROLOGY Hematology and Hemostasis •Anticoagulants •Plasma Color and Turbidity •RBC Indices •Semiquantitative Evaluation •RBC Morphology •Reticulocyte Count •WBC Morphology •Corrected WBC Count •Platelet Estimate •Buccal Mucosal Bleeding Time •CLINICAL CHEMISTRY AND IMMUNOLOGY •Blood Chemistry Tests •Immunology Tests SECTION VIII: PARASITOLOGY •Fecal Flotation Procedure •Centrifugal Flotation Procedure •Fecal Sedimentation Procedure •Modified Knott's Technique oComparison of Dirofilaria and Acanthocheilonema (Dipetalonema) •Common Internal Parasites •Common External Parasites SECTION IX: MICRO/CYTOLOGY •Commonly Used Culture Media •Sample Collection Guidelines •Sequence of Testing •Quadrant Streak Procedure •Common Bacterial Pathogens •Bacterial Colony Characteristics •Characteristics of Yeasts •Common Fungal Organisms •Skin Scrape Procedure •Fine Needle Biopsy Techniques oAspiration Procedure oNonaspirate Procedure •Compression Smear Preparation •Tracheal Wash •Appearance of Effusions •Characteristics of Fluid Samples •Nuclear Criteria of Malignancy •Characteristics of Tumor Types •Common Cell Types in Cytology Samples •Ear Swabs •Cell Types Found in Lymph Node Aspirates •Vaginal Cytology SECTION X: NORMAL VALUES •Normal Blood Gas Values •Normal Daily Urine Production for Dogs and Cats •Normal Heart Rate and Blood Pressure in Dogs and Cats •Normal Physiologic Data in Adult Dogs and Cats •Hematology Reference Range Values •Normal Chemistry •Normal Urinalysis Values •Hemostasis Reference Range Values •Summary of the Lengths of the Estrous Cycle and Gestation Periods in Dogs and Cats