Pricketts Fort was built on the land of Jacob Prickett in 1774, during what is known as Lord Dunmore's War. It provided sanctuary for local settlers before and during the American Revolution and was a safe haven from the attacks of American Indians until the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. Constructed by local militia on a small rise near the confluence of Pricketts Creek and the Monongahela River, Pricketts Fort provided refuge for approximately 80 families. The fort itself was large by 18th-century standards. It had blockhouses at each corner, with walls 12 feet high and 110 feet long. Although the fort was never attacked, many outlying homes were, and a number of settlers lost their lives. Today, Pricketts Fort hosts visitors looking to learn more about day-to-day life on the western Virginian frontier.
|Publisher:||Arcadia Publishing SC|
|Product dimensions:||6.69(w) x 9.61(h) x 0.38(d)|
About the Author
Greg Bray became associated with Pricketts Fort at the age of 12, when the fort was reconstructed in 1976. In 1982, he became a volunteer, and in 1994, he started as the resident blacksmith for the historical fort. In 2001, Bray was named assistant director, responsible for the day-to-day operations in the historical area. He is currently the executive director of the Pricketts Fort Memorial Foundation. The photographs in this book are provided by the foundation.