In every spiritual tradition, we find teachings on the virtues and qualities that we most want to pass on to our kidssuch as generosity, kindness, honesty, determination, and patience. Today, a growing body of research from neuroscience and social psychology supports these teachings, offering insights into cultivating these virtues in ourselves and in our families. Raising Resilience is a practical guide for parents and educators of children from preschool through adolescence, detailing ten universal principles for happy families and thriving children.
Bridging the latest science with Eastern wisdom to explore ourselves and share with our children, Dr. Christopher Willard offers a wealth of teachings on:
• Getting through Givingthe many types of generosity we can model for kids, and the fascinating new findings on the power of giving
• Why Doing the Right Thing Is the Right Thing to Doliving in harmony with oneself, one’s family, and one’s community
• Less is More Parentinghow letting go of what’s no longer necessary creates space, freedom, and the possibility for something new
• Building a Wiser Brainthree types of wisdom and how to steer kids’ "under-construction" minds toward wise action
• Even the Buddha Had Helicopter Parentsreleasing anxiety about over- or under-parenting and the desire for the "perfect" family
• The Buddha and the Marshmallowpatience in spirituality and science, including practices to strengthen patience in yourself and your children
• What Sets Us Freehow truthfulness and honest behavior create safety and freedom for everyone
• Growing Up with a Grit and Growth Mindsetthe best ways to encourage resilience and determination through reinforcing and rewarding the "growth mindset"
• The Kindness Contagioncultivating lovingkindness, compassion, and empathy
• Finding Balance in a Broken World and Staying Steady through the Stresshow to abide life’s inevitable ups and downs through the attitude of equanimity
"The practices in this book ultimately come together to help us build thriving, happy, and resilient families and communities, regardless of how we categorize them," writes Dr. Willard. Raising Resilience is an accessible resource to help each one of us and our family members, "evolve and grow into our best selves."
|Publisher:||Sounds True, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 8.80(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Christopher WillardCHRISTOPHER WILLARD, PSYD, is a clinical psychologist and consultant specializing in bringing mindfulness into education and psychotherapy. The author of Child’s Mind (Parallax, 2010) and other books on the topic, Dr. Willard lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts and teaches at Harvard Medical School and Lesley University. For more, visit drchristopherwillard.com.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Off the Cushion 1
Chapter 1 Getting through Giving (Raising Generosity-Dana) 7
Chapter 2 Why Doing the Right Thing Is the Right Thing to Do (Raising Ethics-Sila) 27
Chapter 3 Less Is More Patenting (Raising Renunciation-Nekkhamma) 53
Chapter 4 Building a Wiser Brain (Raising Wisdom-Panna) 69
Chapter 5 Even the Buddha Had Helicopter Parents (Raising Energy-Viriya) 85
Chapter 6 The Buddha and the Marshmallow (Raising Patience-Khanti) 107
Chapter 7 What Sets Us Free (Raising Truthfulness-Sacca) 121
Chapter 8 Growing Up with a Grit and Growth Mindset (Raising Determination-Adhitthana) 135
Chapter 9 The Kindness Contagion (Raising Lovingkindness-Metta) 151
Chapter 10 Finding Balance in a Broken World and Staying Steady through the Stress (Raising Equanimity-Upekkha) 171
Conclusion Putting It All Together 183
About the Author 205