This is the question Richard Tregaskis set out to answer, and here is his story of a thrilling 48,000-mile search for a modern-day Eden.
Fulfilling a dream that everyone has shared at one time or another, the author voyaged leisurely around the globeto the East Indies, Asia and Australia, Africa and Europe, New York and California. He visited many of the world's most fabulous regions, and he chronicles his adventures with exciting accounts of everyone he met, gaining a fascinating insight into the true nature of each country.
The people are vivid and varied:
* Ex-GIs in Australia, the land of beautiful beaches, the worker's paradise.
* Bare-bosomed women of Bali, typifying the movie ideal of a tropic isle.
* Indian untouchables, courageous despite their lowly, caste-bound state.
* Ladies of the evening in Singapore.
* A Swiss watchmaker, passionately proud of his democratic heritage.
* An American, married and settled in England, strongly advocating the British way of life.
These are but a few of the many personalities whose stories highlight Seven Leagues to Paradise. In pursuing his own paradise, Richard Tregaskis presents a colorful, frequently humorous, always perceptive picture of our far-flung neighbors and the lands in which they live.
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.65(d)|
Table of Contents
|First Day in Bali||1|
|The Ointment--and the Flies in It||15|
|Australia, Land of the Future?||29|
|Happy Hunting Ground||57|
|The Good Life Is Killing Me||69|
|I Finally See the Light||97|
|Man in the Middle||119|
|"And Have Peacetime and Be Happy"||133|
|Escape from Revolution||149|
|Family Life in India||159|
|An Indian Wedding||177|
|The Egyptians Make It Tough||197|
|Paradise for a War Veteran||209|
|Recipe for Paradise--Swiss Style||229|
|Sweden, a Fragile Elysium||247|
|Home in Paradise||259|