Shenandoah County was created in 1772 from Frederick County and, at that time, was named for the English governor Lord Dunmore. In 1778, the name was officially changed to Shenandoah, possibly after the river that runs through the valley between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains. Religion brought some of the earliest pioneers to the Shenandoah Valley in the 1740s and still plays a large part in the lives of most residents. Images of America: Shenandoah County focuses on the people who have made this valley a comfortable place to raise families and communities that pray together, work alongside each other, and enjoy life surrounded by the mountains. The images show the strengths and the creativity of those who have lived on the farms and in the diverse villages throughout the county.
About the Author
Author Jean M. Martin has chosen photographs from individuals, local museums, and the county library to supplement the Shenandoah County Historical Society’s collection of glass-plate negatives by Hugh Morrison, a local photographer whose work spans from 1898 to 1950, and others. Whether one prefers the highway or the waterway, the county comes alive through the families and places portrayed in photographs taken in this verdant valley.
Table of Contents
1 This Hallowed Space 9
2 A String of Pearls 19
3 Scattered Jewels 41
4 Shimmering Ribbons 55
5 Celebration and Recreation 67
6 Bone and Muscle of the Nation 79
7 Forges, Furnaces, and the Fort 97
8 A Living Legacy 109