An insider's guide to achieving that dream career - by one of the brightest stars in musical theatre.
Being in a West End or Broadway musical is the dream of thousands of talented performers. But competition is intense and reaching the spotlight can often require a leap into the dark. So You Want To Be In Musicals? is your comprehensive guide to building - and sustaining - a successful career in musical theatre, and introduces you to everything you need to know about:
- Training - how to select a drama school, what to do to get in, and what to do once you're there
- Auditioning - how to choose and prepare your pieces, and foster a positive attitude towards auditions
- Rehearsing - how to construct your character, work with the director, and develop your own creative process
- Performing - how to deal with nerves, what to do as an understudy, and how to sustain that eight-show-a-week routine
- Working - how to get an agent, how to market yourself effectively, and how to maintain a healthy body and mind
Along with a wealth of honest, straightforward advice, the book is packed with instructive anecdotes from Ruthie's own glittering career. It was co-written by Daniel Bowling, music director for Cameron Machintosh Ltd.
'A must for fans and aspiring performers alike' broadwayworld.com
'Helpful and informative' British Theatre Guide