Special Education in Contemporary Society: An Introduction to Exceptionality available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- SAGE Publications
"The real strength of Richard Gargiulo's text is that it does not overwhelm the readers. Learning the vast-and often complex-field of special education is no easy task. Yet, the text meets this challenge head-on." --Bruce A. Shields, Ph.D., Daemen College
"Given the myriad of introductory textbooks on the market, I have continued using Gargiulo's text as it offers a clear, understandable overview of exceptionality and a wealth of resources that compliment my instruction." --Emiliano C. Ayala, Ph.D., Sonoma State University
"The 'First Person' features are very well done and the students love them!" --Michelle LaRocque, PhD, Florida Atlantic University
Special Education in Contemporary Society, Third Edition provides a highly readable and research-based introduction to special education. Richard Gargiulo believes teachers need more than just academic knowledge about exceptionality-they need an awareness and understanding of the human side of exceptional students and their families. Special Education in Contemporary Society, Third Edition is a comprehensive text with a "people first" approach that gives pre-service teachers a first-hand look into the lives of exceptional children, their families, and their mentors.
Key Features & Benefits:
- Shares the honest and engaging first person accounts of individuals with disabilities in First Person features
- Provides targeted teaching strategies and suggestions with New Effective Instructional Practices boxes
- Covers and integrates INTASC and CECstandards and Praxis II core principles
- Incorporates new coverage of Deaf-blindness
- Includes new and updated content in the key pedagogical features throughout: Chapter-opening narratives, "First Person" boxes, "Suggestions for the Classroom," "Making Inclusion Work," "Learning Activities," and "Technology Tips"
Accompanied by High-Quality Ancillaries:
- New and comprehensive companion website with student and instructor resource materials including chapter quizzes, full text SAGE journal articles and activities, flashcards and more.
- Instructor's Resource CD-ROM with a test bank, PowerPoint lectures, computerized testing, and more. Contact SAGE to request your copy.
Intended Audience: Special Education in Contemporary Society, Third Edition is an introductory text for the Introduction to Special Education and Introduction to Exceptionality courses.
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 1.25(h) x 9.00(d)|
About the Author
Richard Gargiulo is a professor of special education in the School of Education at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. He received his Master's degree and Ph D from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. In 1999, he was awarded the University's President's Award for Excellence in Teaching. He has also served as a Fulbright Scholar to the Czech Republic and has authored numerous books on the subjects of special education, early childhood education, and child abuse and neglect. He has been president of the Council for Exceptional Children and president of the Division on Autism and Development Disabilities of the Council for Exceptional Children.
Table of Contents
Part I: Foundations of Special EducationChapter 1: Special Education in Context: People, Concepts, and PerspectivesChapter 2: Policies, Practices, and ProgramsChapter 3: Cultural and Linguistic Diversity and ExceptionalityChapter 4: Parents, Families, and ExceptionalityChapter 5: Assistive Technology - Emily BouckPart II: A Study of Individuals with Special NeedsChapter 6: Individuals with Intellectual DisabilityChapter 7: Individuals with Learning DisabilitiesChapter 8: Individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DisorderChapter 9: Individuals with Emotional or Behavioral DisordersChapter 10: Individuals with Autism Spectrum DisordersChapter 11: Individuals with Speech and Language ImpairmentsChapter 12: Individuals with Hearing Impairments - Betty NelsonChapter 13: Individuals with Visual Impairments - Carol Allison, Mary Jean SanspreeChapter 14: Individuals with Physical Disabilities, Health Disabilities, and Related Low-Incidence DisabilitiesChapter 15: Individuals Who Are Gifted and Talented - Julia Roberts