Sturgeons and Paddlefish of North America / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Springer Netherlands
Modern North American sturgeons and paddlefish are the result of 100 million years of evolution. Once an integral part of aboriginal culture, their numbers were decimated by overfishing and habitat destruction during the past two centuries.
This book details the extensive science aimed at helping these remarkable species recover from the brink of extinction, and describes the historical, biological, and ecological importance of North American sturgeon and paddlefish. The text is enhanced by photographs and detailed line drawings.
This comprehensive volume will be an invaluable resource for researchers, educators, and consultants, in academic and government settings, who work to further scientific understanding of these fishes. No other single compilation has documented current information in such detail.
Table of Contents
Foreword Introduction: The Decline of the North American Species; Inga Saffron
1. Native American Utilization of Sturgeon; Tim E. Holzkamm and Leo G. Waisberg
2. Distribution, Habitat, and Movements; Jennifer A. Wilson and R. Scott McKinley
3. Environmental Requirements, Preferences, and Tolerance Limits of North American Sturgeons; Joseph J. Cech Jr. and Serge I. Doroshov
4. The Ecology and Functional Morphology of Feeding of North American Sturgeon and Paddlefish; Michael J. Miller
5. Sturgeon Ecomorphology: A Descriptive Approach; P. Vecsei and D. Peterson
6. Embryology; Jessica A. Bolker
7. Swimming and Respiration; Stephan J. Peake
8. Sturgeon and Paddlefish Metabolism; Thomas D. Singer and James S. Ballantyne
9. Growth, Bioenergetics and Age; G.T.O. LeBreton and F.W. (Bill) H. Beamish
10. Genetics of North American Acipenseriformes; Michael R. Robinson and Moira M. Ferguson
11. Multijurisdictional Management of Lake Sturgeon in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River; Nancy J. Léonard, William W. Taylor, and Christopher Goddard
12. Conservation; Nancy A. Auer
13. Aquaculture; Joel P. Van Eenennaam, Frank A. Chapman, and Peter L. Jarvis
Conclusion: Ensuring The Future Of Sturgeon; Kevin G. Butterworth and Nancy J. Léonard
Identification Key to Sturgeons and Paddlefish of North America; Martin Hochleithner and Paul Vecsei