'Beautiful, inspiring and informative' - Bidisha
London tattoo legend Lal Hardy reveals the fascinating hidden world of tattoo, past and present.
With a wealth of previously unpublished photographs, details and anecdotes, Tattoo preserves many unique and valuable items of tattoo culture, including:
· Historical stencils and flash
· Customised machines, traditional hand-tools and animal-marking equipment
· Collector's cards, bubblegum cards and transfers
· Memorabilia and tributes relating to tattoo legends such as George Burchett and The Great Omi
· Postcards, toys, ornaments, T-shirts and other merchandise
· Supply catalogues, magazines, books and art
· Rare ephemera - awards, badges, business cards, convention passes, postage stamps and hand-drawn signs
LAL HARDY was born in London in 1958. He opened New Wave Tattoo in north London's Muswell Hill when he was just twenty-one years old. Lal is part of an international community of highly respected tattoo artists. This is his sixth book.
MATT LODDER is an expert on body art and body modification. He is the author of Tattoo: An Art History and is Director of American Studies at the University of Essex.
|Publisher:||Little, Brown and Company|
|Product dimensions:||8.20(w) x 7.50(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Lal Hardy was born in 1958 and, although widely travelled, has spent most of his life living and working around Muswell Hill, in north London, where he opened his studio, New Wave Tattoo, in 1979. He is the author of three bestselling Mammoth collections of tattoos and tattoo art.
Matt Lodder's PhD thesis was entitled 'Body Art: Body Modification as Artistic Practice' and his current research is principally concerned with the history of Western tattooing and the artistic status of body art and body modification practices. He has taught contemporary art and theory at the Universities of Reading and Birmingham and contributed to and served as an expert consultant on a number of television and radio programmes on body art and body modification. He is the author of Tattoo: An Art History and is currently Director of American Studies in the Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities at the University of Essex.