19.99 In Stock
In 1908, the Aurora Business Mens Association decided to bring a celebration to its sleepy river town. Little did these men realize that the Aurora Farmers Fair would bring their community together for the next 100 years. During the 1909 fall festival, Second and Main Streets were blocked off and lined with farm exhibits and storefronts were decorated. There were over 700 entries and 12,000 people attended. Every year merchants and manufacturers parade, and contestants are selected from area schools to compete for a place in the royal court that presides over the festivities. Class reunions and family homecomings are held around the event, and schoolchildren are released early to participate in a bicycle and pet parade. In 1959, the Aurora Business Mens Association ceded management and sponsorship of the fair to the Aurora Lions Club, and in 1969, the Lions Club purchased a beautiful old building from the Aurora Casket Company to house exhibits. Sadly, in 1998, arson destroyed the fair building, and years’ worth of fair history was lost. This book has been created, in part, in an effort to regain a portion of the collection that was lost.
About the Author
Jenny Awad and Lions Club members David Hizer, George Feustel, and Roger Fehling, along with longtime residents of Aurora, worked together to compile this book of memories. The photographs allow readers to share the excitement and emotion of the annual event.