The business of raising dairy livestock requires that the farmer be head of the herd. The herder must provide the animal with the tools they need to support their natural systems, making sure they receive the right kind and amount of food, vitamins, minerals – clean water – and a healthy environment.
Raising goats is not easy. They are intelligent, fussy, fragile, robust, and exasperating. They are fun, kind, gentle, abusive, loving and inquisitive. In short – goats are amazing creatures and the most widely kept domestic livestock animal in the world!
Despite this, traditional vets seem to know almost nothing about goats. Our farm service system in this country all but ignores their existence. So how can you get started in this growing and profitable business?
This 134-page book includes the following:
- Stories from women who have made of business of raising goats. Sharing their experiences.
- How to get started: Setting your course.
- The basics of animal welfare, humane care.
- What is normal in the goat world? How to recognize a healthy goat.
- Herd psychology.
- The basics of housing and fencing.
- Planning for animal death.
- Available standards and certifications.
- Understanding community supported agriculture (CSA) programs.
- Selling raw milk.
- Specialty dairy products.
- Cheese making the old fashioned way.
- Preparing hides for tanning.
- Pricing strategies.
- The art of branding and marketing.
- Using crowdfunding and social media marketing.
- Maintaining a healthy goat. Goat first aid. Herbal remedies.
- Mineral and vitamin requirements.
- Natural dewormer issues and recipes.
- Pasture management.
This book is also filled with scores of goat resource links, photos, charts and diagrams.
|Publisher:||Blue Rock Station LLC|
|Product dimensions:||5.51(w) x 8.50(h) x 0.30(d)|
Table of Contents
- Goat Do’s & Don’ts 8 Basics of Humane Care 12
- Basic Planning and Awareness for Herd Managers 13
- Planning for Animal Death – or Injury and Disease 14
- Standards and Certifications 15
- Recognizing a Healthy Goat 17
- Specialty Dairy Farming Resources Poster 20
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) 21
- Selling Raw Milk 24
- Organic Standards 26
- Raw Milk - The Real Facts 27
- List of Specialty Dairy Products 29
- I Want to Make Cheese Poster! 34
- Cheese Making the Really Old-Fashioned Way 35
- I Want to be Licensed! 38
- Preparation of Hides for Tanning 39
- Calculating Costs: Learning How to Set Prices 45
- Pricing Strategies 47
- The Art of Simple Branding and Marketing 54
- Crowdfunding 58
- Social Media 63
- Goat Guide to Life Poster 72
- Animal Health Issues 74
- Basic Requirements – Minerals 77
- Pro-Biotics, not Anti-Biotics 82
- First Aid: The Great Eight 83
- Estimating Weight 87
- Herbal Remedies: What They Do 88
- Parasite Control 91
- Dewormer Chart for Goats Poster 96
- Herbal Wormer Recipe 97
- Pasture Management 101
- Fencing for Goats 105
- Example of a Soil Sample Report 109
- The Medicine Chest 110
- Specialty Dairy Farming Resources for Goats Poster 120
- Resources 123