About the Author
Raimo Varynen is Professor of Political Science at the University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA, and Director of the Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Raimo Väyrynen, Waning of Major War: Contending Views
1. Paul W. Schroeder, Debating the Waning of Major War
2. John Mueller, Does War Still Exist?
3. Marie T. Henehen and John Vasquez, The Changing Probability of Interstate War, 1816-1992
4. Peter Wallensteen, Major War is Not Waning, Yet
5. Martin van Creveld, The Decline of Major War: Nuclear Weapons and International Law
6. T.V. Paul, Does the Risk of Nuclear War Belong to History?
7. Kalevi J. Holsti, The Changing International System and the Decline of Major War
8. Patrick M. Morgan, Multilateral Institutions and Major War
9. Hendrik Spruyt, Normative Transformations in International Relations and the Waning of Major War
10. William R. Thompson, Democratic Peace, Civil Society, and Major War
11. Raimo Väyrynen, Capitalism, Peace, and War
Raimo Väyrynen, Conclusion