The trusted reference—now with on-the-go access
Whether you're in school or out in the work world, communicating clearly and correctly is key to your success. With easy-to-understand explanations of grammar rules and plenty of real-world examples and tips, this authoritative reference is just what you need to speak and write with confidence and ease.
Now more accessible than ever, this edition has been updated to include:
- A new chapter on punctuation, including common punctuation mistakes
- Expanded coverage of commonly misspelled words and variances in spelling
- More intuitive organization, making it easier to navigate
- Visual elements that enhance your understanding of specific grammar problems
- Free online access to portions of the book for an on-the-go reference to commonly misspelled words; common punctuation errors; variances in spelling among the U.S., the U.K., and Canada; and frequently misused words and expressions
Lucid, comprehensive, and easy-to-use, this is your go-to guide to get ahead.
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
GORDON LOBERGER, Ph.D., author of A Concise Guide to Standard English Usage, has taught English grammar at the university level for over 40 years.
KATE SHOUP is a veteran freelance writer and editor.
Table of Contents
Part I: Parts of Speech.
Chapter 1: Nouns.
Chapter 2: Pronouns.
Chapter 3: Verbs.
Chapter 4: Modifiers.
Chapter 5: Function Words.
Part II: Sentence Elements.
Chapter 6: Types of Sentences.
Chapter 7: Sentence Patterns.
Chapter 8: Punctuation.
Chapter 9: Sentence Parts.
Part III: Handling Capitalization and Spelling.
Chapter 10: Capitalization.
Chapter 11: Spelling.
Appendix A: On Writing.
Appendix B: Misused Words and Expressions.
Appendix C: Glossary.