- Offers discussions of basic pathological processes as well as coverage of common diseases encountered in systems pathology for a complete review.
- Includes comprehensive updates, with relevant molecular pathology issues explained in the context of the clinical presentation, the treatment implications, and the underlying pathological processes
- Presents nearly 650 images of the highest quality that vividly and clearly illustrate the essential features of pathology and enable you to make definitive comparisons to your own lab views.
- Features concise text that distills basic and complex information into a coherent explanation to help you understand key points quickly and easily.
- Provides keys to the lettering in images at the bottom of each page, saving you time in reviewing figures.
- Serves as a companion text to Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th Edition, offering a comparison of normal histology with the pathological changes in disease.
- Features a short review section at the end of each chapter covering the key point of the chapter in brief form for the perfect pairing of reference and review.
- Includes online access to Student Consult where you'll find the complete text and illustrations from the book, fully searchable • and additional USMLE-style questions for self assessment
- Provides additional colored text boxes with clinical-pathological correlations that explain the relevance of the pathological processes underlying common diseases and their complications.
- Features online access to Evolve Resources including a high-resolution image bank with all the illustrations, figures and tables from the book, and a test bank.
About the Author
Table of ContentsPreface to the fifth edition vii
Preface to the first edition viii
PART 1 BASIC PATHOLOGICAL PROCESSES 1
- Introduction 2
- Acute inflammation, hearing and repair 12
- Chronic inflammation 27
- Infections of histological importance 37
- Amyloidosis 54
- Disorders of growth 59
- Dysplasia and neoplasia 65
- Atherosclerosis 86
- Thrombosis and embolism 95
- Infarction 103
- Cardiovascular system 112
- Respiratory system 126
- Gastrointestinal system 140
- Liver and pancreaticobiliary system 164
- Urinary system 177
- Lymphoid and haematopoietic systems 197
- Female reproductive system 216
- Breast 236
- Male reproductive system 246
- Endocrine system 254
- Skin 266
- Bone and soft tissues 281
- Nervous system 298
PART 2 BASIC SYSTEMS PATHOLOGY 111
Appendix 1 Notes on commonly used staining methods 316
Appendix 2 Glossary of Pathological Terms 318